The Westin Nova Scotian, a landmark Halifax hotel located next to the Seaport Market, Halifax Harbour, Pier 21 and just steps away from world-class shopping and dining opportunities, we are an employer of choice in this vibrant city.
At Westin, you can learn, grow and succeed. We have exceptional benefits for our associates that range from a complimentary orientation stay at our property, StarHOT and New Castle Hotels and Resorts room rate discounts, social and community participation opportunities and so much more.
We are currently looking for a Full Time First Cook to join our talented culinary team!
The primary duty of the 1st Cook is to prepare high quality food to order for guests based on established guidelines, keep work area clean and organized and conduct his or her self in a positive professional manner.
· Culinary Journeyman Red Seal certificate required
· Minimum of 5 years cooking experience – 3 years as a 2nd Cook or 1 years as a 1st Cook.
· Previous experience in Banquets, line cooking and fair knowledge of fine dining.
· Must be able to work in all areas of the line.
· Must be able to work in high paced, stressful environment and maintain professional attitude.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- Long stretches between days off can be possible in high volume times.
- In and out of refrigerators/freezers with some frequency.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS:
- Assume daily responsibilities according to schedule and business needs.
- Preparation of Outlet, Banquet and any other food requirements.
- Requisitioning of food, beverage and dry goods from the storeroom.
- Check daily food requirements and prepare them accordingly.
- Ensure that refrigerators, freezers, working areas and kitchen are kept clean.
- Ensure that equipment is functioning, sanitized and that any maintenance is reported to Kitchen Management.
- Ensure strict control of waste and portion and help to control food quality and cost using standard recipe methods, pictures and maintain low inventory.
- Design specials for the day when required.
- Must never say no to a guest request without offering an alternative.
- Other duties as required.
Please apply online via www.nchrjobs.com